“Weverse magazine usually publishes articles about BTS, mostly whenever they release new albums, celebrate milestones, and even stories about the members’ music, and sometimes they feature stories about fans, feature some fan accounts and even write about international artists and western music. A recent article about the latest musical artist wave rubbed BTS fans the wrong way. The article mainly talks about the US artist, Morgan Wallen who has been dominating the billboard music charts for weeks.
The article talks about the artist’s success on the charts, gives a brief history of Morgan, and continues to discuss his music and the influence it has had over other music and other artists. What fans are having trouble with is the structuring of the sentence that mentions Jimin topping the Billboard Hot 100. The words “Some partial success?” describing the artist’s top position on the chart has left a sour taste in many fans’ tongues. It feels like downplaying Jimin’s incredible achievement on the Hot 100 chart..
Jimin broke several records when he debuted his song “Like Crazy” on the Billboard Hot 100 which the fans feel like it was not appreciated enough or given the weight that the record carried. Let’s list the achievements to give you a point of view of where the fans are coming from
“Some partial success”???
- Jimin is the first member of BTS to achieve a number-one song and chart debut; to earn a top-10 and top-20 entry, and to have multiple top-40 entries.
- “Like Crazy” debuted atop the April 8, 2023, issue of the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, becoming the 66th song to do so since the chart’s inception in 1958.
- Jimin is the first South Korean solo artist in history to achieve a number one debut (previously, Psy peaked at number two with “Gangnam Style” in 2012) and the fourth Asian artist (after Kyu Sakamoto, Far East Movement, and BTS) to top the Hot 100.
- In its opening week, “Like Crazy” sold 254,000 downloads and CD singles combined, becoming Jimin’s third number-one on the Digital Song Sales chart
- “Like Crazy” is Jimin’s first song as a credited songwriter to reach number one on the Hot 100 chart
- “Like Crazy” earned the highest single sales week since Taylor Swift’s “Anti-Hero” sold 328,000 copies in November 2022.
- “Like Crazy” achieved the highest debut for a South Korean solo artist on the UK Singles Chart at number eight.
- It peaked in the top 10 of charts in Hungary, India, the Netherlands, Singapore, and South Korea, and on Billboard’s Hits of the World charts in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Peru, the Philippines, and Taiwan.
- “Like Crazy” sold 2,803 downloads on its opening day in Japan and debuted at number two on Oricon’s Daily Digital Singles Chart for March 24, 2023 The English version debuted at number five. With only three days of availability during the tracking period dated March 20–26
- Jimin broke the record for the highest debut by a South Korean solo artist on the UK Singles Chart, set by his own single “Set Me Free Pt. 2” a week prior when it debuted at number 30, with “Like Crazy”, which debuted at number eight
- The single was the most-downloaded and second best-selling song overall for the week dated March 31–April 6, 2023
- The song became the first by a Korean artist to debut at number one in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region when it topped the Official MENA Chart, published by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), for the week ending March 30, 2023
- Worldwide, “Like Crazy” accumulated 71.2 million streams and 86,000 sales, debuting at number two on the Billboard Global 200.
- Jimin is the highest-charting BTS member on the Global 200; the second, after bandmate Jungkook, to earn two solo top-10 entries; and the first to do so as a lead artist on both songs.
- Outside the US, the song accumulated 61.4 million streams and 48,000 sales, debuting at number two on the Global Excl US chart; Jimin remained the highest-charting BTS member on the ranking.
- Jimin achieved four first-place wins on domestic television music shows with “Like Crazy” on M Countdown and Music Bank respectively
- Jimin also won four consecutive weekly Melon Popularity awards.
- “Like Crazy” was later nominated in the Best Music (Spring) category at the upcoming Fact Music Awards.
Suga on the other hand had a very successful solo album debut that made him the first rapper in history to sell over 1 million albums on it’s first day of release and recently he had the highest earnings from a single arena concert in the history of US!
Here are some reactions from fans as #HYBERESPECTJIMIN #BIGHITRESPECTJIMIN #FreeJimin #HYBERESPECTYOURARTIST trended worldwide